Wednesday 26 November 2008

#2 What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?

This questions seems like such an easy one to anwer, since there is one obvious and simple 'correct' answer to it. Any other attitude than a respecful one when confronting with foreign cultures seems almost taboo in the current modern world of globalization.

But because the answer is so simple-it is also vague to act upon. It's one thing to talk about it on a blog entry and another to actually be forced to decide and act accordingly while confront it face to face as an international in a foreign country.

From my experiences living and growing up abroad, I've learned that it's essential to distinguish between a person's habits and the whole nation's tradition. Somtimes we interpret an aspect of one person, family, school, or town as a representation of the whole country's culture-and confront it as such, even when it's not. I'm not saying that a person isn't a representation of their culture. In most cases they are-but only to some extent. It's impossible to get a full glimpse of a culture from one person, visit, family or town. It may take decades to truly understand the culture of a nation. In another words, Bob may be 100% American, but not 100% of Americans are like Bob. To confront other cultures than our own native one, you must carefully judge if what you are thinking is truly a culture of the foreign nation or not, before confronting it as one.

Also keep in mind that "other cultures" may not mean the national cultural differences found in the international community. There can be differences found even between each of the after-school activities at our school.

As mentioned in the previous blog, I am a Christian with a Christian world view. I look at other cultures through the lense of the Bible and confront the new cultures according to what I interpret the Bible to mean.

The two biggest commandment Jesus gives us is, love God and love others. Everything in life, -and after life, as well- can be answered according to these two simple rules.

When confronting with other cultures, I would first question myself if there is any sinful traditions or aspects of the culture. No culture on earth can be perfect, so there must be some flaw in any culture.
I will try to look at the new culture I came to contact with through the eyes of what my Father would see, and seperate myself from what He would displease in. If it goes against the commandments my God laid down, I won't follow or practice that particular aspect of the culture. As long as the culture does not defy God or the Bible, I'll find them very interesting and something pleasing, as God would feel toward them.

But even though I may completely disagree with what some of the new culture includes, I must still keep the second commandment in mind. As a sinner myself, I have no authority to condemn or try to force the people of the new culture I face to stop their ways I disagree with. Continuously living my own life the way I want to live,-as my God would please in- loving others, teaching not my words but by my actions, and praying for the people who are practicing a culture that draws them farther away from God is how I would confront a new culture.

This is what I expect out of myself and try to do when I am confronted with other cultures, but this is not what I expect from all of us when we're confronted with other cultures.

Everyone must make their own choices in their lives, including the manner and attitude by which they confront a new foreign culture.

But there is a wrong and a right way of confronting other cultures, and the right way is with respect, patience and love toward the people of the new culture confronted, no matter what bizarre culture it may seem to us.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Exactly what God expects us to do, is what you have written in your post. A powerfully written post and your simplistic approach to answering this question strengthens your point of view. Mrs.Mc